Cynthia G. Starkey
I have been an attorney since 1983. My practice consists of handling Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) appeals for people with disabilities in the Bay Area. I am experienced in handling all levels of appeals from the administrative process to actions in federal court.
I was a director of a legal services department in a non-profit agency for more than 10 years. I managed other attorneys and paralegals handling Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) appeals as well as having my own caseload. I entered into private practice in 1993 and established my own law office in 1998.
Between the years of 1995 – 2011, I was the Chair of the Social Security Committee of the Santa Clara County Bar Association for 7 of those years. My job was to create educational and informational programs throughout the year for other Social Security attorneys and social workers in Santa Clara County.
The process of appealing a denial for disability benefits can be very challenging for people who experience chronic pain or who have been forced to live with a physical or mental disability. No one plans to be disabled. People would like to work if they could. Often people get lost in a Social Security "system" which requires many forms to complete and deadlines to meet. I find my work most gratifying when I can help clients secure their disability benefits and assist them in the process of appealing when their applications for benefits have been denied.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Social Security Disability
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified Social Security Specialist, National Board of Legal Specialty Certification, 2007
- California, 1983
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1983
- Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, California
- San Diego State University
- Major: Sociology
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Santa Clara Bar Association
- San Mateo Bar Association
- Alameda Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Adult Independence Development Center, Director of Legal Services Department, 1985 - 1993
- Between the years of 1995 – 2011, I was the Chair of the Social Security Committee of the Santa Clara County Bar Association for 7 of those years.