Cynthia G. Starkey
I have been an attorney since 1983. My practice consists of handling Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) appeals for people with disabilities in the Bay Area. I am experienced in handling all levels of appeals from the administrative process to actions in federal court.
I was a director of a legal services department in a non-profit agency for more than 10 years. I managed other attorneys and paralegals handling Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) appeals as well as having my own caseload. I entered into private practice in 1993 and established my own law office in 1998.
In 1995, 1996, and 2003, I was the chair of the Social Security Committee of the Santa Clara Bar Association. My job was to create educational and informational programs throughout the year for other Social Security attorneys and social workers in Santa Clara County.
The process of appealing a denial for disability benefits can be very challenging for people who experience chronic pain or who have been forced to live with a physical or mental disability. No one plans to be disabled. People would like to work if they could. Often people get lost in a Social Security "system" which requires many forms to complete and deadlines to meet. I find my work most gratifying when I can help clients secure their disability benefits and assist them in the process of appealing when their applications for benefits have been denied.
Areas of Practice
- Social Security Disability 100%
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified Social Security Specialist, National Board of Legal Specialty Certification, 2007
- California, 1983
- U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1983
- Golden Gate University School of Law, San Francisco, California
- San Diego State University
- Major: Sociology
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Santa Clara Bar Association
- San Mateo Bar Association
- Alameda Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Adult Independence Development Center, Director of Legal Services Department, 1985 to 1993
- Past Chair, Santa Clara Bar Association